Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Feet on the Ground - The simple joys of field work

With me are the Grade 5 Students and teachers of Alabel Central Elementary School, Sarangani Province.


One thing I love about my job is field work. Once in a quarter (or as need arises), I am tasked to visit a region in Mindanao and meet with the students/beneficiaries of the programs of a certain charitable organization. These students have disabilities (mostly visual impairment).

Always, I am awed and silenced at the perseverance and determination these students show in finishing their studies. I interview them and from these interviews, I write their life stories which are soon published and distributed to individuals who might be interested in extending their assistance. These interviews are also aired in a radio program which I host alongside my lovely office mate, Ate Faith.

This is what I love about my job. Part of the reason is quite selfish- it's because it strokes up my ego in a way that I feel needed. But more importantly so, I love my job because it gives me a concrete opportunity to help. This is where I can use what skill I have in order to make small, but significant changes in the lives of our country's marginalized population. This is my way of giving back love... my way of saying 'thank you' to my country and to the world.

No comments: